Thursday, August 26, 2010

Believe in Your Own Ghost . . .Nancy Drew Style

Mystery Writer Cooking . . .Do you like to read mysteries?  Well, I do.  Actually, I like all sorts of books but mysteries are right up there.  In fact, when I was a young girl I read every Nancy Drew book I could get my hands on.  Growing up, I had a friend whose grandmother had loads of Nancy Drew books and I would borrow and read them every chance I got.  I really liked them.  A few years ago, through my cookbook collecting, I discovered there was a Nancy Drew cookbook -  Imagine that!  I haven’t actually tried any of the recipes but here is a familiar one for Ghostly Popcorn.

Ingredients

2 c sugar
½ c corn syrup
½ c water
2 5-½ oz pkgs popped popcorn
25 small flat wooden sticks

Put the sugar, corn syrup, and water in a saucepan.  Cook over low heat until it reaches 245 degrees on a candy thermometer, or until a spoonful of mixture dropped into cold water forms a hard ball. 

Put the popcorn into a bowl and pour the cooked syrup over popcorn and stir with a spoon to mix it well.  Mold the popcorn into balls around the ends of wooden sticks. Work quickly to finish molding the popcorn before the syrup becomes hard!

(I’d probably forget about the wooden sticks and jut eat them with my granddaughter, Adison)

Nancy Lets You in On a Secret

You can also use this recipe for Christmas.  Mold the popcorn into balls without the wooden sticks. When they are hard, wrap them in cellophane paper and hang them on the Christmas tree.

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely trying this recipe!!! :) Thanks for following me. I'm following you now too. I'll be looking forward to trying out some of your recipes and hearing about your adorable granddaughter. :)
    Talk soon!
    Lynn
    www.bradybunchplus1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete