Thursday, August 19, 2010

Apple Crisp

Heard on a talk show a couple of weeks ago that the apples will be ready early this year . . . at least in New York State.  I can't wait to go apple picking with my granddaughter Adison.  So, I've been getting my apple recipes ready and here is a simple one for Apple Crisp!

HINT:  Everyone does not have an apple orchard nearby where they can pick their own apples, so when choosing apples in the store or market, go for fresh, firm fruit with a smooth, shiny skin and good color.  A pale, color is usually a sign of immaturity and consequent lack of flavor, which is unlikely to improve, no matter how long you wait. A slightly shriveled skin could be caused by incorrect or overlong storage.  An overripe apple, which also tends to be over-size, will be mealy and rather soft to finger pressure, and its flavor will be impaired.

In a deep, buttered 8x8 baking dish, place 4 cups of peeled, sliced apples (I cut up whatever I have - the different flavored apples make this a real tasty crisp) and 1/2 c water.

Mix with fork until crumbly:

3/4 c flour
1 c brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
 sprinkle of nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c softened butter

Spread mixture over apples and bake at 350 degrees F until apples are tender and crust is brown, about 30 minutes.

Enjoy!!. 

8 comments:

  1. Yum,now I want some apple crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That apple crisp sure does sound good! We don't have fresh apples growing in Georgia, but we make fresh "pear cobbler" which is very similar.
    I'm your newest follower! I'm a grandmother blogger, too, and I'm always looking for new blog friends! Hop on over if you get a chance, I have two blogs--one dedicated to the grandchildren(MiMi's Mini Tales), and one that tells my life stories(Reflections by Kathy).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for following me! I'm following you back.

    Amber at http://www.iheartgiveaways.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE apple crisp. It's my favorite!!! I am your newest follower. Have a great weekend!
    Bonnie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there cant wait to read more of your recipes, I love to bake and try new things. Thanks for stopping by my blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just tried this recipe but it says "Mix with fork until crumbly".. after I added the butter it's anything but crumbly.. It looks like a thick liquid. Oh well it's in the oven now, and it looks like it will be good anyway! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amber, hope the crisp came out ok. I make it a lot in the fall and have no problems. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete