Saturday, October 2, 2010

Any More Tomatoes?

If you still have tomatoes, the following chili sauce recipe is GREAT.  This was a sauce my Aunt Millie used to make every year when we were kids.  It's super delicious on roast beef, but I also use it on fish.

Ingredients
30 large tomatoes
12 onions, fairly large
8 peppers (good sized ones)
4 c vinegar
2 c sugar
1/2 c salt
3 Tbs cinnamon, ground
2 Tbs cloves, ground
3 Tbs ginger

Pour boiling water over tomatoes until skin cracks; peel and cut out core.
Cut up tomatoes, onions and peppers and grind them up.  Put in pot and add remaining ingredients.  Cook over medium high heat until starting to boil; then reduce heat but continue to boil, stirring constantly (at least every ten minutes).  Cook until the sauce thickens, about 3 hours or more.  When finished, put sauce into canning jars and seal.  Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I'm a new follower from blog hop! You can visit me at www.epicsavings.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following me! I'm now following you back!

    Cheers from Being Frugal & Making It Work

    ReplyDelete