Thursday, December 2, 2010

Peanut Brittle from The Holiday Candy Book

front of book
Before my husband passed away we used to attend many auctions and estate sales together.  He came across this cookbook at an auction of a Saratoga estate quite some years ago.  The author is Virginia Pasley and this book was copy written and  published in 1952.   It is well worn both on the outside as well as the inside.  I actually never used it but my husband made peanut brittle once in a while.  I think I shall try it this year.  Here is the recipe:

1 1/2 c sugar
1c light corn syrup
1/3 c water
1 Tbs butter
1 1/2 c salted peanuts
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla

Measure sugar, corn syrup and water into a 3-quart saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.  continue stirring until syrup boils, then put in your thermometer and boil over high heat until thermometer registers 280 degrees.  Lower  heat and add butter, stirring rapidly, then the peanuts.  If your peanuts are not salted, add 1/2 tsp salt.  Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes, then stir occasionally until temperature reaches 300 degrees.  Remove from heat; add baking soda and stir until it bubbles up; add the vanilla, stir again and then pour onto two large cookie sheets.  Spread out thinly with a spatula and when the edges are cool enough to handle, pick them up and stretch out as thinly as possible.  As the candy cools down, pull it loose from the pan and turn it over, stretching again.  This candy does not keep well and will get sticky unless kept in a tightly covered tin.
ENJOY!!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, that does it! I am going to make this stuff, although it is my absolute worst candy temptation. One bite always tastes like MORE. The book also looks like fun, and a nice memory that your husband made peanut brittle. I think you should make it too. Telling me that 'this candy does not keep well' is just too much of an excuse for me to eat it fast! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and by the way, thanks for your comments on my blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're quite welcome and I am so glad you stop to visit mine also! Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete